Thursday, March 22, 2012

Buttercupp Bakery

Ahmedabad is a nice city. Great infrastructure, nice places to eat, shop but it has one deficiency (apart from the lack of alcohol), this place doesn't have a nice cupcake place.

Forget a dedicated cupcake shop, not even one bakery that did cupcakes. Coming from Bombay with the convenience of Theobroma, Candies, 210's and Butterfly; this Gujju land was devoid of any cupcake happiness.

Till about two weeks ago.

Buttercupp: A Cupcake Shoppe was started by Amar and his wife. They flew down from the US to start this place. Not professional bakers, them, the wife (sorry, I didn't get her name) has done a baking course here and there but is an engineer by profession.

So, we (J and I) entered this place at 5 pm, and saw this:
Empty shelves, but you can see the Banana cupcake, can't you? Say hi!
empty shelves. 

Panicked we ordered 1 each of everything we saw; red velvet, oreo and banana bread. On enquiry we found that lemon cupcakes were on their way out and there was one last double chocolate dip. We ordered those as well. 

Lemony Love
So here goes,
Red velvet: the cake tastes nice. Though it could have been a nit more moist for me. The icing was nice, but it could have tasted more of cream cheese. 
Oreo: No one can ever go wrong with oreo. 
Banana Bread: Aah! These stole the show. Gorgeously moist, with the slight banana flavoured icing and the caramelised banana on top. *Sigh!* We had two of these. (It is nice how much J indulges me when it comes to food). 
Double Chocolate Dip: Oh so moist! our teeth go right through. With a light chocolate butter cream frosting, this on was chocolate heaven. 
Lemon: J and I love lemon. And it is so easy to go wrong with it. But this one was perfect. Not overtly sweet or lemony. 

The empty wrappers. Phone calls went unattended as we sat in silence for a minute savouring the  last crumbs. 

We ate six cupcakes while we were there. Took ten back to campus. Apparently, if you eat as much as we do, they throw in a lemon cupcake and also give u a discount.

So dear Ahmedawadis. Go there. Please! Go early. Call before you go, Amar will save some for you.

The cupcakes here vanish before you can say, "Wow!". Around 20 people would have walked in the 30 minutes we were there. They were met with empty shelves, but wait, no one goes back empty handed (or stomached). They make sure you get to have something or the other.

Here they are on Facebook show them some love. 

4 comments:

  1. These look great. I have always wanted to own a little cupcakery. I saw a video on you tube and it reminded me of you, so I'm sharing a link :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNyv2lpUxGw&feature=related
    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am definitely going to own a cupcake shop, once I have the money.

      The video was fun, now I want to make my own version for Mumbai.

      Delete
    2. Hello Shreya,

      Thanks for writing us on your blog..It was a pleasure having you and J at our cupcake shoppe and we look forward to heaving you again :-). Your friend (sorry didn't catch her name) told me about your blog and Darshini and I enjoyed reading it this evening.
      Ciao
      Amar

      Delete
    3. Hi Amar,
      Your cupcakes were amazing and I was happy to write about them. Now everyone from MICA who visits your shop brings me back a cupcake! :)

      I would be happy to lend a hand if needed with digital marketing and website content. I am currently interning with a digital marketing agency so I think the experience would help.

      Delete

Go ahead! I am listening.