Friday, April 1, 2011

Red, chai and chocolate covered digestives

This is going to be an apology post for this month. My exams start on the 18th. They aren't just any ordinary end of the year exams, but they are my final year university exams. So I have to study, which means less cooking, less blogging and more eating and cramming my head with eco stuff.

There are a few saving graces to my situation. The first I spotted while out grocery shopping with my mum.


These gorgeously red and plump chillies caught my eye and I just had  to buy them. They look like something out of Nigella's kitchen. I really don't know what to do with them. I know Nigella used them in an omlette once, but I feel they deserve a better fate. They can't be that hot, being so plump, I am open to any suggestions except pickling them. 

Being a coffee hating Tamilian (I know, also let me assure you I am not the only one. My Best Friend, Paro also happens to be one) I survive on tea. I am not addicted to it no, just like to have one or two huge mugs a day. After, my recent purchase of cinnamon powder, I have started adding it to my tea as well. 



Guess who is best friends with cinnamon tea? Digestives of course! I like Mcvite's much more than Brittania because of its crumbly texture. 

I am sure all fellow fans of Love Actually will remember Hugh Grant asking for chocolate biscuits. Well according to Vir Sanghvi he was asking for chocolate covered digestives (check a month or two old HT Brunch for confirmation). Now, I didn't know they even existed, not being a big fan of shopping at international stores because they make me want to buy everything, so I was pleasantly surprised. I proceeded to make my own chocolate covered digestives by melting dark chocolate in a double boiler with some butter. They are cooling in the fridge now. 

I also would like to leave you all with a list of things you can expect next month:
  • culinary adventures in Coorg
  • a post on the Irani cafes in Bombay
  • the best chaat in Navi Mumbai
I will try to post more this month, but studies are priority. 

Don't forget to suggest what I should do with those chillies. 

6 comments:

  1. Chillies!
    I bought them from sector market.. And I let them soak in tamarind and jaggery (gud) water for a day. The next day I made a chutney! :) And its delicious! :D
    If you want I'll keep some for you or mail you pictures. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. @nimi: i bought them from sector 9 market too! I dont fancy a chutney now. Something exotic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, these chillies just SCREAM mexican cuisine! You could make a salsa and have it with tacos. Just roast the chillies until fragrant, add lots of garlic, some oregano, vinegar, cloves and other spices, puree, strain, add some water and store for a day so that the flavours develop. And voila! You're ready with an awesome homemade delicious salsa. :D


    Garlic really has some amazing flavours, eh ?:D

    ReplyDelete
  4. @nupur: salsa sounds brilliant! I love garlic. How it smells, the texture, the taste, everything!

    @Raksha: thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So what did u finally do with the chillies?

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead! I am listening.