Thursday, March 17, 2011

Hummus

Exam time is here. Not for me. My exams are still a month away, but when you have your final year university exams you have to start studying. And as everyone knows, studying is synonymous with stress eating and weight gain.

I always cook the most during exams. All of a sudden I barge out of my room into the kitchen to fulfill my craving of the hour. So you can see why we all look all rosy cheeked and plump post exams.

This time I decided to make Hummus. Having read countless recipes online and being a big fan of Garlic, I had to make it.


Here is my recipe:

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups of chickpeas (chole) 
8 pods of gralic (we love garlic here)
50ml of Olive Oil
salt and red chilli powder to taste

Method:
Soak the chickpeas for 12 hours in water and then cook it in a pressure cooker. 
After the cooked chickpeas has cooled, put it in the mixer/food processor with the other ingredients and blitz away. 
Keep adding water. I use the water the chickpeas were cooked in.
Add oil periodically till it becomes the required consistency.

That's it. Eat.


I didn't want mine too oily and not too thin. So it was pretty thick. You could spread it easily on Garlic bread. (that is how much we love garlic at home, No we don't smell of it. probably keeps the vampires at bay).



It can also be eaten with veggies. Healthy snack! To keep you from putting on that exam weight. 

What are your exam remedies? 




10 comments:

  1. That looks super...uff during my exams I wud just die on tea...Yes...I am a tea lover...:)

    FunWidFud

    ReplyDelete
  2. @nimi: have it with sticks of cucumber and carrots.

    @kalpana: thanks

    @Raksha: thank you

    @Reshmi: I am a tea lover too! In a months time I will be on a tea diet. Detest coffee though. Nothing like tea with Parle G biscuits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. first time here...wow...u have some unique yet simple recipe in here....loved it.....do visit my space whenever u have it !

    ReplyDelete
  4. @only fish recipes: Thank you! I will visit soon. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love hummus! First time visiting, you have a beautiful blog with very interesting recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice! Hummus is lovely, as always. I always end up buying it though. Thanks to you, now I won't. :) Try some baba ganoush...(and put it on your blog so I can make myself useful :P). Mix them up, put it all inside pita bread with bits of feta cheese and lots of fresh veggies (bell pepper, lettuce, parsley, cucumbers, tomatoes, mushroom etc) and have an awesome meal. :D

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead! I am listening.